Civic Engagement Scholars
The Civic Engagement Scholars Program is coordinated by the Center for Civic Engagement & Learning and endorsed by Case Western Reserve University President Barbara R. Snyder. This initiative is designed to promote student involvement in the Cleveland community and beyond through significant and meaningful service.
Civic Engagement Scholars Program Goals
- To create an experiential learning program that promotes active citizenship and allows students to develop a deeper understanding of community issues
- To foster connections between students at Case Western Reserve University and members of the Greater Cleveland community
- To create mutually beneficial opportunities for student volunteers to engage in meaningful community service activities with local agencies and nonprofit organizations
- To recognize students who perform outstanding service
Students apply to participate in the Civic Engagement Scholars program at the beginning of the academic year. They commit to completing at least 50 community service hours while also attending trainings and educational programs about community and social issues throughout the academic year.
Civic Engagement Scholars Program Requirements
- Attend the Civic Engagement Scholars program orientation in the fall and the Social Justice Teach-In in the spring.
- Complete a minimum of 50 community service hours throughout the course of the program (August 18, 2016 - May 11, 2017)
- Attend three community-focused programs of your choice
- Complete a final reflection summary about the scholars experience
The application for the 2016-2017 Civic Engagement Scholars program is available online.
Students who meet the program's criteria will receive a Certificate of Distinguished Service signed by President Barbara R. Snyder. Scholars who complete the program requirements are also invited to attend a special recognition ceremony celebrating their achievement with President Snyder.
For more information about becoming a Civic Engagement Scholar, please refer to the program requirements or FAQ page. Highlights from the 2015-2016 program are also now available.
Applications for the 2016-2017 Civic Engagement Scholars are now available online until Wednesday, September 14, 2016. The first required Scholars orientation is Friday, September 16, 2016.