The strategic plan implemented in July of 2015 followed the Bryson model which is a disciplined effort to produce fundamental decisions and actions that shape what Student Affairs is, what it does and why it does it.1 The Associate VP for Operations and Planning is ultimately responsible for overseeing the division-wide strategic planning effort in Student Affairs. The entire planning process which resulted in our current plan is mapped out on the public Student Affairs page.
This is an internal divisional site we will use to communicate the ongoing planning process, progress reports and improvements.
Desired Results of the Planning Process
- Incorporate best practice recommendations regarding: programs and services for the type of institution and student population; organizational structure from the perspective of efficiency and management; how image and visibility might be improved; and, diversity and inclusion efforts.
- Engage a broad base of constituents in the planning process, to include students, faculty, staff, and community members.
- Create a comprehensive plan to inform students, staff, and faculty within the DSA and the institution as to divisional impact on the co-curricular student experience at CWRU.
- Develop a model to be used to inform external constituencies of the good work being done between students, faculty, staff, and community members to further the University mission.
- Utilize a bottom to the top approach, which articulates departmental strategic issues, connected to divisional mission, priorities, values, goals and outcomes.
- Respond to goals and strategies in the university's newly created strategic plan.
- Formulate a plan informed by data, focused on outcomes, and tracked periodically.
- Use the results of that activity to continuously update the ongoing planning process and inform programmatic, policy and financial decision-making.
1Bryson, J. (2004). Why Strategic Planning is More Important Than Ever. In Strategic Planning for Public and Nonprofit Organizations (3rd ed., p. 6). San Francisco, CA: Josey-Bass.