It is important for student groups to have adequate opportunities to publicize their events. It is equally important to maintain an attractive campus free of unnecessary litter. The following guidelines are designed to achieve those objectives, while avoiding limitations to freedom of speech.
General Posting Policy
Student organizations may post information and notices concerning their organizations and its activities in areas provided by the university. Only one flier per designated surface is permitted, fliers may not exceed 11" x 17" and fliers may not obstruct other posted materials. Posting of any derogatory, obscene, or offensive message, either explicitly or implicitly, is strictly prohibited. University personnel will remove all postings inside academic buildings every Friday evening and on kiosks every Monday morning. These areas also will be checked regularly to remove dated notices, non-university related postings and violations.
Permitted Posting Areas
- All surfaces marked with the PostCheck sign, including kiosks, & bulletin boards
- Residential facilities - directed by Housing, Residence Life & Greek Life. Fliers must be submitted to Wade Area Office or Fribley Area Office for approval
- Public bulletin boards located in Wade and Fribley Area Commons
Prohibited Posting Areas
- All surfaces NOT marked with the PostCheck sign
- All academic and administrative buildings and restricted surfaces in residential facilities (including windows, doors, columns, etc.)
- All artwork and sculptures, trees, telephone/light poles, furniture and seating, sidewalk, streets, and signs
- Permitted: Chalking on university pedestrian walkways
- Prohibited: Chalking on vertical surfaces, buildings, artwork, covered walkways, or non-university pedestrian walkways. Use of acrylics, ink, spray-chalk, and paint is strictly prohibited.
- The Spirit Wall was created at the request of students. It was built to serve as a venue for creative posting for events and programs.
- The Office of Student Activities and Leadership will assist if there are questions regarding appropriate usage of the wall. In the event that there are concerns about the wall, they may also be directed to the Office of Student Activities and Leadership.
Residential Posting Policy
- The NRV (Wade Commons) and/or SRV (Fribley Commons) area office staff will
date stamp fliers and/or posters during business hours.
- If an organization or department would like to post within the residential buildings, a total of 25 fliers/posters (for the NRV) and 22 (for SRV) should be provided. This will provide one posting per each residence hall, apartment lobby and Greek House, one posting for Wade Commons or Fribley Commons and one posting for The Spot or the Rough Rider Room.
- Residential staff will be responsible for posting within the residential
building common areas. The staff members will be responsible for checking
their staff mailboxes and posting all materials in a timely manner (usually
within two working days).
- Student organizations will be responsible for posting their fliers/posters
in common areas (i.e. Wade Commons, Fribley Commons, The Spot and Rough Rider
Room) after they have been date stamped in the respective area office.
Violations of this policy will be referred to the university judicial system in the Office of Student Affairs. Groups or individuals responsible for violations will be assessed the actual cost of cleanup and any necessary repairs. The minimum charge will be $50 with additional action and fees possible in more serious cases.
November 20, 2014