Disciplinary Record Retention & Reporting Policy
This policy pertains to undergraduate, graduate and professional students found responsible for university division of student affairs disciplinary policy violations. This includes but is not limited to violations of the University Student Code of Conduct, the Undergraduate Academic Integrity Policy and the University Sexual Misconduct Policy. Policy violations will lead to a disciplinary record being created and retained as follows:
- Any disciplinary violation that leads to sanctions less severe than disciplinary probation, university separation or university expulsion will be retained for three years or until completion of all studies at the university (including undergraduate, graduate and professional programs); whichever comes first. Such violations will be retained only to be factored into any subsequent disciplinary violations. Such violations will be considered non-reportable to other higher education institutions or agencies seeking information about student disciplinary records.
- Any disciplinary violation that leads to disciplinary probation or university separation will be retained for eight years from the date of the incident or from the date of completion of all studies at the university (including undergraduate, graduate and professional programs); whichever is later.
- Any disciplinary policy violation that leads to a sanction of university expulsion will remain on record with the university permanently.
- Any first offense academic integrity policy violation will be considered non-reportable and not be part of a student’s disciplinary record except to be factored into any subsequent academic integrity violations.
- In cases where a student is alleged to have violated a policy but is found not responsible, a record will be retained but will be considered non-reportable to other higher education institutions or agencies seeking information about student disciplinary records.
This policy is effective May 1, 2016. Any question of interpretation or application of this policy shall be referred to the Vice President of Student Affairs or a designee for final determination.
June 20, 2016