Thwing Center History
From its prominent position in the very center of Cleveland's University
Circle, Thwing Center overlooks the campus of Case Western Reserve
University and Euclid Avenue, once called "the most beautiful street in the
world”. The facility was named for Charles Franklin Thwing "Prexy Thwing"
to generations of alumni and students-who was President of Western Reserve
University from 1890 until 1921.
The design of Thwing Center incorporates two existing buildings, Thwing
Hall and Hitchcock Hall, with a connecting structure, which included an
atrium and bookstore (relocated). Built originally as the Excelsior Club
for men in 1913, Thwing Hall was acquired by the University in 1931 for use
as a library, and later as a gathering place for students. Hitchcock Hall,
of similar vintage, was originally a residence, later the home of Cathedral
Latin School and Ursuline College for Women, and in recent decades the
location of a variety of University programs. It was named for Henry
Lawrence Hitchcock, President of Western Reserve College from 1855 until
The new Thwing Center provides improved and expanded space for programs,
services, classes, and activities to meet the needs and interests of
students, faculty, staff and other members of the University community.