- How do I enroll in the Student Medical Plan?
Eligible* students are automatically enrolled in CWRU's Student Medical Plan and the fee has been placed on your account. However, if you currently have health insurance coverage comparable to the Student Medical Plan, you may elect to waive this fee. Click here to see if your coverage is comparable
*Per the Student Medical Plan, eligibility is defined as:
- Students of Case Western Reserve University registered for at least one credit hour, except for virtual and online students.
- Persons associated with special programs on the campus of Case Western Reserve University may be eligible as determined by the University.
- Students of the Cleveland Institute of Art and the Cleveland Institute of Music registered for one or more credit hours.
- I am a CWRU student and I am already covered under an insurance policy. Do I still need the Student Medical Plan?
If you have insurance comparable to the Student Medical Plan, you may waive the coverage. It is each student's responsibility to ensure that their alternate coverage is adequate.
- I would like to waive the Student Medical Plan. How do I waive this plan?
If you are a Case Western Reserve student, you can waive the Student Medical Plan on the Student Information System (SIS) in the Finance section of the Student Center.
If you are a student from CIA and CIM, you must submit a waiver form to your individual school.
Learn more about the health waiver process
- When I log into SIS, I am asked questions related to my health plan. How can I change my answers?
The Medical Plan waiver questionnaire only allows you to answer the questions one time. If you need to change an answer, please contact the Student Medical Plan Department at 216.368.3049 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- When registering for fall, can I waive the student medical plan for the fall and spring term?
Yes! The Student Information System is designed to waive the Medical Plan for both the fall and spring term when you are registering for fall term.
- What if I am only taking classes in the spring term? Can I waive the medical plan?
Yes! If you are only taking classes in the spring, you will be able to waive the Medical Plan when registering for the spring term. Please note this waiver will only be active for the spring term.
- If I waive the Medical Plan fee can I still use the services at Health and Counseling Services?
Yes! Students enrolled in one or more credit hours are eligible to be seen at Health and Counseling Services.
- If I waive the Student Medical Plan fee can I re-enroll in the Plan at a later date?
Yes! As long as the reason is due to a qualifying event.
A qualifying event is described as the follow:
- Reaching the age limit of another health insurance plan;
- Loss of health insurance through a marriage of divorce;
- Involuntary loss of coverage from another health insurance plan.
Learn more about change of status options
- If I enroll in the Student Medical Plan at a later time, due to a qualifying event, do I need to pay the same amount that was posted on my tuition account?
No. You will need to pay a prorated amount. To obtain this information, please contact the Student Medical Plan department at 216.368.3049.
- Who do I contact with questions regarding the Student Medical Plan?
If you have any questions or concerns please reach out to the Student Medical Plan Department at 216.368.3049 or email@example.com.