Potential areas of confusion in the transition from high school to CWRU

  • Self-Identification - In K-12 education, the school district must identify children with disabilities and provide appropriate services to help them achieve free appropriate public education. In the post-secondary setting, it is the responsibility of the student to self-identify to receive accommodations. Some students may not realize this and expect the college to come to them.
  • Documentation - In K-12 education, the school district may provide evaluations and documentation for the child. This documentation may not be current (e.g., an IEP for a dyslexic child may have been generated in the 2nd grade and continued on through high school without further updates). At CWRU, documentation is the responsibility of the student; CWRU does not provide an evaluation. Evaluations are available through Counseling Services at a reduced cost on a limited basis.
  • Accesses to Student Records (FERPA) - Parents do not have access to their child's information. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) protects the student's information. Our staff communicates soley with the student regarding their disability and accommodations.
  • Requesting Memos - Each semester new memos must be requested by the student. In most cases, further documentation is not required. In some cases (e.g., psychological disabilities), updated documentation may be required every 6 months or more frequently depending upon the disability and circumstances.
  • Self-Advocacy - In K-12 education, parents and school personnel are the primary advocates for the child. In the post-secondary setting, the onus is upon the student to make their needs known. Initiative, independence and self-knowledge are all important for success at CWRU. Our office will advise accordingly as students develop and refine their advocacy skills, learn more about themselves and their disability.