Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some frequently asked questions, along with additional resources. If you have a question that is not answered here, please contact us at

How do I find out who my roommate is?
Contact information for your roommate is available from our online housing information system called MyHousing. Here you will find information about your roommate such as address, email address and telephone number.
Can I change my housing assignment?
Requests for changes are considered beginning the second week of classes. You can initiate a room change through your Residence Life Coordinator.
Why are my lifestyle descriptors different than my roommates?
Different lifestyles do not mean that there will be problems between you and your roommate. Roommates' smoking preferences and at least two of the four other lifestyle indicators will usually match.
I had a roommate, but now I have a different one. What happened?
Unfortunately, we cannot release any details about why your previous roommate may have been removed from your room. The most common reason is that he/she decided not to attend CWRU. We continue to assign students throughout the summer to ensure that everyone has a room.
Is my property insured?
The University is not liable, directly or indirectly, for loss of or damage to any article of personal property anywhere on the premises caused by fire, water, steam, insufficient heat, the elements, or actions of third persons.

Personal property of students is not covered by University insurance. Students should carry their own insurance protection against loss or damage to their personal property (through parent's homeowner insurance or renters insurance).
Are there laundry facilities?
Yes, laundry facilities are provided in every residence hall. Laundry is included in the room rate. No more need to bring quarters for laundry! All washing machines are high-efficiency front-loading Maytag™ Neptune™ machines. We would highly recommend that you bring high-efficiency detergent (look for the "he" on the bottle).

All machines are also equipped with Laundryview, a program where you can go online via the housing website and check the availability of washers and dryers. Click here for more information.
What is an area office?
The area office is located in the center of each residential area. Staffed by full-time administrative staff as well as part-time student assistants, it's where you'll pick up packages, get keys, drop off and pick up laundry and dry cleaning, purchase stamps, send faxes, and obtain information on a wide range of topics.
Can I personalize my room?
Yes. Plants, posters, photos, and small caged animals (including fish) are fine. Dogs, cats, ferrets, and animals requiring a heat lamp are not allowed. Residents are required to fill out a pet registration form at the time of check-in. Registration forms can be found online on your OrgSync account. Approval is required by the roommate as well as the Residential College Coordinator, Residential Community Director or Assistant Director of Greek Life. If you require an assistance animal, please contact the Office of Disability Resources for approval.

We recommend that you hang items with 3M removable item (hooks, picture hangers, etc) or blue painter's tape. No nails or other type of tape are allowed.

Wallpaper, contact paper, borders, paneling, waterbeds, removal of university furniture, and painting over varnished surfaces are not allowed.
What about mail and packages?
In the North Residential Village, mail will be sorted and kept on file at the Residential Area Office, in Wade Commons. To receive your postal mail, bring your student ID to the office. Mail will no longer be delivered to residence hall mailboxes. The exceptions to this are The Triangle Apartments, Euclid 115 Apartments and PMA apartments, where mail will continue to be delivered directly to these facilities.
Packages are delivered to the north or south area office and students are notified via email when they have received packages.
How do I find my campus mailing address for mail and packages?
Finding your campus address is easy! Simply sign on to your MyHousing account, and click on your housing assignment. This will bring up a page with information about your assignment, including your campus mailing address. Mail and packages should be addressed to your full name, your residence hall and room number, and the street address of your building.
Do the residence halls close during breaks?
Residential Colleges, second year housing and university-operated Greek houses close during winter break only. The residence halls are open during fall, Thanksgiving and spring break. During winter break, students may leave their belongings in their room. Upper-class students who wish to remain on campus during winter break will need to complete the winter break housing sign-up form.