Greek Housing Agreement

2014 - 2015

This Greek Housing Agreement is a binding agreement between Case Western Reserve University ("the University") and an individual student member of a qualified Greek organization ("the chapter"). It indicates the student's intent to live in approved housing operated by the chapter and/or participate in an approved board plan operated by the chapter for the 2014-2015 academic year. Any release from this obligation is handled solely by the chapter in accordance with its room and board requirements and internal processes. Students released from chapter room and board requirements are still subject to applicable university housing and board requirements.

The student's signature on a Greek housing application form or online acceptance during completion of an application form binds the student to this Greek Housing Agreement and signifies that the student has received, read and agrees to abide by all conditions, terms and policies contained in this agreement, the applicable portions of the CWRU Student Handbook, and the CaseCard Terms and Conditions. Copies of this agreement may be obtained from the Office of Greek Life (43 Yost Hall, 216-368-3954,, A copy of the CaseCash Terms and Conditions can be obtained from Auxiliary Services (212 Sears Building, 216-368-2273,,


To be eligible for residence in a chapter-operated Greek house, a person must be currently registered as a student at the University, the Cleveland Institute of Music, or the Cleveland Institute of Art.

Student application information will be made available to designated chapter officers who will submit official room assignments to Housing for university recordkeeping requirements. Students committed to Greek housing will not be able to participate in the general residence hall room selection process.

Undergraduate Housing Requirement

All full-time, unmarried undergraduate students of the University who do not live at a parent's permanent residence within 40 miles of the University must live in a residence hall and participate in one of the University board plans for the first two years of enrollment. All upper-class students living in non-apartment style housing, including Greek chapter houses, must participate in a meal plan. The University acknowledges the diverse needs of students and therefore reserves the right to grant permission to live off campus when it is judged to be in the best interest of the individual student. Students who seek this permission must receive written approval from Housing. Housing Release Request forms are available in 35 Yost Hall and online at Any student who fails to comply with this policy will be subject to University judicial action.


All decisions regarding chapter house room occupancy or chapter board service dates and applicable policies and standards of conduct are solely at the discretion of the chapter.


The following chapters have entered into a billing agreement with the university covering the room and board plans offered by the chapter: Delta Tau Delta, Phi Gamma Delta, Phi Kappa Psi, Phi Mu, Sigma Nu, Sigma Psi, and Zeta Psi.

By applying to live in one of the covered houses or selecting a chapter board plan, the student agrees to have the room or board charges, as determined by the chapter, billed and collected by Case Western Reserve University through the student account. If a room or board charge was not available at the time of this agreement, the student agrees to be billed for the board charge determined by the chapter at a later date.

If the student does not pay the bill consistent with the schedule of payment published by the Bursar's Office for tuition and fees, the room charge will be subject to late fees. If the bill remains unpaid, a hold may be placed on the account and the student will not be able to register for classes, receive transcripts or receive a diploma.

Spring Semester Charges

For agreements starting in the fall semester, room and board assignments, and all applicable room and board charges, will be automatically charged for the spring semester if the student continues to live in the house or participate in the chapter board plan. A designated chapter officer is responsible for submitting any changes to the house roster and/or chapter meal plan to the Office of Greek Life by December 5, 2014.


If a chapter does not operate its own board plan, or the student is not required to participate in a chapter board plan, a member living in the house must select a university board plan.

The board calendar is based on the University’s undergraduate academic calendar. Meals are not served in the dining commons during scheduled breaks and there is no charge for them. Dinner is the first meal served when claases resume at t the beginning of a semester or after a break. Lunch is the last meal served before any break. Schedules will be posted at Friblay and Leturne Dining Commons.

The initial meal plan is selected on the housing website ( and will roll over automatically from Fall to Spring semester of the academic year. Meal plan participation is mandatory for all first and second year students.

Some meal plan options include a fixed amount of Meal Plan CaseCash which is deposted into the student’s individual account and tracked on the student’s CaseOneCard as Meal Plan Case Cash.

Instructions on how to make Meal Plan changes

Meal Plan/CaseCash changes, additions and cancellations can be made at The online option will be active for an extended period of time prior to the start of each semester and will end on Friday of the frist week of classes at 5 p.m. After this time, is it no longer possible to change meal plans for the semester. Note that not all meal plan selections are avaialbe to all students. For questions, please contact

CaseCash Additions and Changes

While there is no difference between CaseCash and Meal Plan CaseCash in terms of spending power, the funds are added and tracked separately for administrative purposed. Students can add up to $1000 of CaseCash per semester and bill their tuition account throughMyHousing.

Please note that while meal plan selections roll from Fall to Spring semester, CaseCash addtions to the Bursar’s account must be requested each semester.


The University shall not be liable, directly or indirectly, for loss of or damage to any article of personal property anywhere on the premises caused by fire, water, steam, insufficient heat, the elements, or actions of third persons.

Personal property of students is not covered by University insurance. Students should carry their own insurance protection against loss or damage to their personal property.


Smoking is prohibited in all residence halls, Greek Houses and commons areas. This includes individual rooms as well as the public areas (lounges, bathrooms, hallways, stairwells, and balconies). The Recovery House is a tobacco-free, drug-free and alcohol-free environment. In addition, all outside walkways and grounds of university property are smoke-free, except for specific university designated smoking areas.


The following chapter-operated houses are buildings that are leased from the university: Alpha Chi Omega, Phi Kappa Psi, Phi Mu, Sigma Nu, Sigma Psi, Theta Chi, and Zeta Psi. Members of these chapters are subject to these additional requirements.

Air Conditioners

Installation and use of non-University-supplied air conditioning equipment in University-owened buildings is prohibited. Air conditioners may be requested for medical reasons subject to medical verification and approval from the Office of Disability Resources (470 Sears Building, 216-368-5230, A $250 per semester surcharge applies to any student with an approved air conditioner.

Residency Termination

Upon a determination by any of the University's authorized judicial boards or officers that a resident student has violated an applicable standard of conduct (including, but not limited to, the standards contained in this agreement and the CWRU Student Handbook), the University may immediately expel the student from the house or transfer the student to a room in a different residence hall. Appropriate billing will still be determined by the chapter.

Pursuant to Ohio Revised Code Section 5321.031, the University may require the student to vacate the house only upon a determination that the student has violated a provision of this contract or violated an applicable standard of conduct, except in any case where a student's presence in the house poses an immediate threat to person or property, as determined by Greek Life personnel, in which case the student may be required to immediately vacate the house until a hearing on the matter is held. A determination that the student has violated a provision of this contract or violated an applicable standard of conduct may be made only after the student is given written notice of the alleged violation and a right to be heard on the matter. The University's notice and hearing procedures, and the University's judicial boards and officers authorized to make the foregoing determinations, are described in detail in the CWRU Student Handbook.