University Disciplinary Process

These judicial procedures are valid only for incidents occurring before August 1, 2016. For conduct incidents occurring August 1, 2016 or later, please refer to the University Student Code of Conduct.

Any member of the University community may notify the University Office of Student Affairs of a violation of the University Standards of Conduct, or to file a grievance. The matter will be evaluated by the Vice President for Student Affairs or his/her designee to determine if the matter should be referred to one or more hearing boards/processes:

  • Housing, Residence Life, and Greek Life Hearing Processes
  • University Student Affairs Hearing Processes
  • Office of Diversity and Inclusion Informal Grievance Processes (Discrimination/Disability Claims)
  • Graduate Studies Hearing Processes
  • Professional (Business/Dental/Law/Medical/Nursing/Social Sciences) School Hearing Processes
  • Human Resources Hearing Processes
  • Faculty Hearing Processes
  • Pet Policy Investigation Process
  • Sexual Misconduct Policy
  • IFC and Panhellenic Boards

Any member of the university community accused of violating a rule or regulation is entitled to adequate notice of all charges, to a fair hearing, and to protection of their educational records. 

Standard of Proof

A standard of proof is the measure of how convinced a decision maker must be about the facts of a case to reach a decision. The standard of proof for all student conduct proceedings is the preponderance of the evidence standard. This means that it must be more likely than not that the student is responsible for a violation of community standards. The guilty beyond a reasonable doubt standard used in criminal cases in the legal system does not apply in university proceedings.


Case Western Reserve adheres to the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), which protects the privacy of student educational records. In some cases, information may be shared among appropriate university officials if there is a legitimate educational interest or with others as permitted by FERPA. 

Judicial Records

When formal disciplinary action is taken, a confidential file is created in the office responsible for the judicial proceedings held.  All files are maintained at least as long as the student is enrolled at the University.

Students are entitled to review their files under FERPA.  If a student believes the record contains inaccurate or misleading information or violates a students’ right of privacy, they may request a meeting with the Director of Student Conduct and Community Standards to request the record be amended.  If the students’ request is denied, the student may appeal the decision to the University Judicial Board or the Vice President for Student Affairs designee for a hearing.  The hearing will be conducted and a final decision made concerning whether the record should be amended.  If the decision is made to not amend the records, the student has the right to place in the student’s record a written statement contesting information and/or giving reason for disagreement with the decision to not amend the record.