Support Resources

The following resources and options are available for individuals reporting sexual misconduct. Similarly, the university recognizes that a person being accused of a sexual misconduct may also utilize the following resources and options as appropriate and applicable.

Alternative Housing & Academic Accommodations

The university will accommodate requests for alternative living, working, dining, and academic arrangements as available and appropriate. This is available with all reporting options in both informal and formal choices of action. The university reserves the right, based on the circumstances, to determine the most appropriate course of action in making alternative housing arrangements.


Counseling may be pursued following an incident of sexual misconduct, no matter how much time has elapsed since the incident. The university offers a 24-hour telephone hotline for privileged and confidential conversations about sexual assault and relationship violence (216-368-7777). By calling this number, students may choose to be connected with on and off-campus resources. On-campus counseling services are available for students at University Counseling Service in Sears, University Health Service, and the Women’s Health Advocate at the Flora Stone Mather Center for Women. There is no charge to students and the services are privileged communications. Counseling services are also available for faculty and staff through the Employee Assistance Program (EASE). See Support Resource Charts IIa. or IIb.

Emergency Room Examination/ Preservation of Evidence

Any person who is a victim of physical sexual violence is urged go directly to the Emergency Room at any local hospital for medical attention. For a list of hospitals close to campus, including those with a SANE (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner) Unit or staff specially trained for sexual misconduct examination and evidence collection, refer to the appropriate Confidential Support Resource charts in this policy or review the rest of this website for more information. It is important to note that the preservation of physical evidence is critical in the event of criminal prosecution and may also be useful if university action is pursued. To obtain the best evidence, a person who has experienced sexual violence should not wash her/his hands; shower or douche; brush her/his hair or teeth; or change her/his clothes immediately following the incident. If a victim goes to the hospital, local police will be called, and if the name of the accused is provided, the police will investigate, but the victim is not obligated to talk to the police or to pursue prosecution. Having the evidence collected in this manner will help to keep all options available to a victim, but will not obligate him or her to pursue any course of action.

University Health Service

Students can seek treatment or advice at the University Health Service for any medical concerns, including a physical exam, sexually transmitted infections, pregnancy testing, and to obtain emergency contraception. All medical information and services are privileged and confidential. There is a nurse and physician on-call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 216.368.2450. If a student decides to file criminal charges, the student must sign a University Health Service Medical Information Release Form if the student wishes to allow the police, the university or their representative to gain access to medical information applicable to the sexual violence.