Hudson Relays Centennial

Hudson Relays History and Origins

In 1882, Western Reserve University moved 26 miles from Hudson, Ohio, to the University Circle area. Case Western Reserve University annually commemorates this event with Hudson Relays, a 26-mile relay race around the current campus. The event orginally began in 1910, starting in Hudson, Ohio, and ending at the rock in front of Adelbert Hall.

In 1990, the race was changed to its current course to comply with traffic and safety concerns. The current course is 26 miles long and consists of five laps around a pre-set course. A team from each class year—freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior—and an alumni team compete in the race. In 2009, graduate and professional students came together to have a team running in Hudson Relays.

The winner of the race has their class year engraved upon the Hudson Relays rock outside the south wall of Adelbert Hall. In addition, if a class team wins four years in a row, the administration provides a steak and champagne dinner for them at graduation. The Class of 2011 was the most recent class to earn this honor.

Many Thanks to the Archive Staff!

We appreciate the tireless work and efforts from the staff of University Archives! With their help, we developed a detailed history that highlights 100 years of the Hudson Relays. From winning classes, to changes in the routes, to bits of trivia you may not have known, check out one of Case's greatest traditions.